Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chapter One

            IT IS A gorgeous day, with the sun in the sky and the reflection of 
the luxury cars in the driveway blinding anyone who looks out the large bay 
window in my parents’ living room. It’s my graduation party, and of course my 
parents spared no expense. From the chocolate truffles to the delicate pearl 
decorations, they have made sure everything looks beautiful, as befits the 
daughter of the governor.

            It hasn’t been easy growing up in the spotlight, but I can’t say my 
life has ever been bad. I never wanted to run away, certainly never hated my 
parents. Now, I am as grateful as ever for their love and generosity. After all, 
they didn’t have to adopt me or provide for me so lavishly that no one would 
ever know I was not their blood.

            I don’t even remember before they adopted me. They never hid it 
from me, and I always knew….maybe that’s why it has never bothered me. I 
was 5, they said, and even the shrink I saw always wondered how I 
remembered nothing. But if it was no matter to me, they felt they should 
leave it be…and so we went on about our picturesque lives.

            Now, as I celebrate my accomplishments in the field of history, I 
raise my glass to toast to the rather embellished speech my older brother has 
given. Teagan has always been a master storyteller, and today is no 
exception. Not only does he shine extra favor on my scholastic achievements, 
but he brings on a chuckle from everyone with silly stories from our childhood.

            I don’t mind. There are few things that bother me. We are having a 
good time, drinking wine and eating food that costs more than our staff 
makes in a month.

           “Would the Lady of Honor care to join me for a dance?” My father is 
at my elbow as everyone disperses to pair up on the brilliant wooden dance 
floor of our ballroom.

            I wrap my slender arm around the crook of his extended elbow and 
beam up at him. He is tall, solid, and graced with pepper-colored hair and 
goatee. As we dance, my lavender gown swirls with every movement, and I 
know we are the one everyone else is watching. It is only when I turn to go 
back to my seat that I see the figure in the doorway.

            I try to focus, but the figure is so dark I cannot make out who it is. It 
wavers in my vision, and my mother captures my attention with quick, wet 
kisses to my cheeks and a soft "You look beautiful, Sabella." She always was 
emotional. I look back to the doorway, but it is clear and bright.
  
          For the first time in my life, I am bothered by something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment